PERSONAL BRANDING FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
PERSONAL BRANDING FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
Using Google: Google Syntax
1. How would you search for an exact word or phrase?
• In order to search for an exact word or phrase, I have to enclose the enter word or phrase in quotation marks. This will instruct Google that I’m searching for a precise word or phrase.
2. How would you search for something on a specific site?
• You can search for something on a specific site by using “site: name of the site.com modifier. For instance if I’m looking for information about Ryerson grades I will use the modifier, “grades” site: http://www.ryersonuniversity.ca
3. How would you correctly search for a definition?
• The way to correctly search for a definition is the Google define command. For instance if I’m trying to search for the definition of pretentious, I will use this entry; define: pretentious.
4. How would you search for a specific product available within a specific price range?
• You can find a specific product available within a specific price range by searching the product name and the price category. For instance if I was interested in finding Samsung Galaxy S6 with a particular price range I will google Samsung Galaxy S6 $400.00.
5. How would you search for a specific filetype?
• If you are looking for a specific filetype, you have to use the modifier filetype after the name of the file you are looking for.
6. How would you include or ignore words in your search?
• The way to ignore words in a search is by using the hyphen after the search phrase and if I want to include a particular word or highlight I a particular word I have enclose the word with quotation marks.
7. How would you find sites/pages similar to an existing one?
• In order to find sites or pages that are similar to an existing one, you have use the modifier related in order to find similar sites/pages.
8. How would you confirm the exact form of a quote even if you were missing some of the words?
• In order to confirm the exact form of a quote even if you are missing some of the words, you have to use an asterisk in the place of the words that are missing … for instance if I wanted to search I have a dream, but I forgot have part, I can search “I * a dream”.
9. How would search for pages containing two connected words?
• In order to search for pages containing two connected words, you have to use the AND, which will tell Google that both words are required in the search.
10. How would you search for social media content containing a specific tag?
• In order to search a social media content that is containing a specific tag, you have to use the #specific tag, for instance #Charleston.
As children we were socialized to be polite and to treat everyone with respect, in today’s world of interconnectedness, we are slowly losing those childhood etiquette that our parents instilled in us. In the social media world, there is the perception of being invisible and thus being able to do and act however we see fit. The problem with this assumption is that no one is invisible in the social world, and what you do online has real life consequences. Therefore, the best social media practice is to use and implement those same childhood etiquette that were instructed to us while growing up. The most important rule of thumb is to treat everyone the way you want to be treated. Therefore, since no one, in my opinion, wants to be ill-treated and insulted either in the real world or in the digital world, we should respect each other’s individuality. This means that we should all treat each other with courtesy and respect. Moreover, there should an acknowledge that there is countless different viewpoints, and if one comes across a viewpoint or a way of seeing the world that goes against what you believe, the best rule of thumb is always to agree to disagree. Which ultimately results into a new viewpoint or a way of seeing the world being introduced to you. Finally, the best social media etiquette one can follow is to not disparage other individuals in social media, or to be aggressively offensive to others and best of all to not be ignorant.
This is your very first post. Click the Edit link to modify or delete it, or start a new post. If you like, use this post to tell readers why you started this blog and what you plan to do with it.